Wednesday 19th of August 2026 Sahafi.jo | Ammanxchange.com
  • Last Update
    18-Aug-2026

Jordan condemns Israeli airstrikes on Syrian military base

 

The Jordan Times

 

AMMAN — The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday condemned the Israeli airstrikes on Abu Al Duhur airbase in Idlib in northwestern Syria, as a “blatant violation” of Syria's sovereignty, territorial integrity, and international law.
 
Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Fouad Majali called for an immediate end to repeated Israeli attacks against Syria, warning that such escalations only fuel further conflict and instability in the region, according to a ministry statement.
 
Majali urged the international community to assume its legal and moral responsibilities by compelling Israel to cease its illegal, provocative attacks on Syria, end its occupation of Syrian territory, and respect international law and state sovereignty.
 
He reiterated the Kingdom's firm stance in supporting Syria's efforts to rebuild on foundations that guarantee its unity, sovereignty, security, territorial integrity, and the rights of all Syrian citizens.
 
Syria said on Tuesday that Israel had attacked a disused military air base in the country's northwest on Tuesday.
 
"Israeli occupation aircraft early this morning targeted the runway... with eight strikes," Syrian state television quoted an unidentified military source as saying.
 
It added that "the attack resulted in material damage to the airport's infrastructure, without causing casualties".
 
Israel has been carrying out incursions into Syrian territory since the December 2024 overthrow of longtime ruler Bashar Al Assad, including sending troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone that separated Israeli and Syrian forces in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights since 1974.
 
'Violations'
 
Israel has launched hundreds of strikes on Syria since the fall of Assad and Israeli officials have said they intend to keep forces in a "security zone" in southern Syria, where they seek a broader demilitarised zone, AFP said.
 
Damascus has repeatedly condemned incursions in the country's south.
 
During a joint press conference with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron in Damascus last month, Syrian President Ahmed Al Sharaa called for an "active French role" to halt Israeli escalations in his country.
 
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al Shaibani also last month condemned "the continuation of Israeli military actions" and warned that "the unlawful occupation of our land beyond the 1974 line is a direct threat to the security of the region".
 
He demanded an "immediate and unconditional withdrawal".
 
Israel captured most of the Golan from Syria in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War and later annexed the areas under its control, in a move not recognised by most of the international community.
 
The incursions have been condemned by the United Nations chief as "violations of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity".
 

Latest News

 

Most Read Articles