The Jordan Times
AMMAN — The Criminal Court prosecutor on Tuesday began questioning a man who allegedly murdered a woman in a deserted area in Irbid last week, official sources said.
On August 11, the family of a woman in her 50s reported her missing, Police Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Amer Sartawi said.
“A special investigation team was formed and tasked to search for the missing woman,” Sartawi told The Jordan Times.
Investigators canvassed the area where she was last seen “and traced her movements and were able to locate her body in a deserted area,” according to Sartawi.
Meanwhile, investigators zeroed in on a suspect “whom they believed was involved in her disappearance,” Sartawi maintained.
Upon questioning the suspect, he added, “he confessed to murdering the woman with a rock”.
Forensic experts were called to the area and concluded that the victim was allegedly “murdered with a rock,” the police official added.
The victim’s body was transferred to Irbid’s National Institute of Forensic Medicine for a government autopsy, a senior medical source said.
Blood and tissue samples were also taken from the victim and sent to the Forensic and Laboratories Department for further analysis, the senior medical source added.
The Criminal Court prosecutor will summon the victim and the suspect’s family members for questioning, the senior official said.
The suspect was ordered to be detained by the Criminal Court prosecutor for 15 days pending further investigation.
Investigations are ongoing into the incident, according to a statement by the Public Security Directorate.