The Jordan Times
AMMAN — Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi on Wednesday held a phone call with Syrian Foreign and Expatriates Minister Asaad Al Shaibani, during which he reiterated Jordan’s condemnation of Israel’s attack on the Abu Al Duhur military airport in Syria’s Idlib Governorate on Tuesday.
Safadi said that the attack is a blatant violation of international law and a dangerous escalation that exposes Israel’s aggressive policy of pushing the region towards further conflict and instability, according to a Foreign Ministry statement.
He reiterated Jordan’s full solidarity with Syria and its support for efforts to rebuild a free, secure and stable country and safeguard its territorial integrity, sovereignty and security, as well as the safety of its citizens.
Safadi and Al Shaibani warned that continued Israeli attacks on Syria would undermine regional security and stability, stressing the need for the international community to assume its responsibilities and halt such unjustified escalatory actions.
They noted that the Syrian government is focused on rebuilding the country, strengthening its security and stability and pursuing diplomatic channels to address outstanding issues with Israel and achieve de-escalation.
The two ministers also affirmed the depth of the ties between Jordan and Syria and stressed the importance of practical cooperation towards building a strategic partnership across various fields.
They also discussed regional developments and underscored the two countries’ support for efforts to achieve sustainable security and stability by addressing the causes of tension, respecting international law and state sovereignty and upholding the principles of good-neighbourly relations and non-interference in internal affairs.
Syria said on Tuesday that Israel had attacked a disused military air base in the country's northwest on Tuesday, according to AFP.
"Israeli occupation aircraft early this morning targeted the runway... with eight strikes," Syrian state television quoted an unidentified military source as saying.
It added that "the attack resulted in material damage to the airport's infrastructure, without causing casualties".
Israel has been carrying out incursions into Syrian territory since the December 2024 overthrow of longtime ruler Bashar Al Assad, including sending troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone that separated Israeli and Syrian forces in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights since 1974.
'Violations'
Israel has launched hundreds of strikes on Syria since the fall of Assad and Israeli officials have said they intend to keep forces in a "security zone" in southern Syria, where they seek a broader demilitarised zone, AFP said.
Damascus has repeatedly condemned incursions in the country's south.
During a joint press conference with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron in Damascus last month, Syrian President Ahmed Al Sharaa called for an "active French role" to halt Israeli escalations in his country.
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al Shaibani also last month condemned "the continuation of Israeli military actions" and warned that "the unlawful occupation of our land beyond the 1974 line is a direct threat to the security of the region".
He demanded an "immediate and unconditional withdrawal".
Israel captured most of the Golan from Syria in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War and later annexed the areas under its control, in a move not recognised by most of the international community.
The incursions have been condemned by the United Nations chief as "violations of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity".